- 1 pound unsalted, organic butter (cultured preferred)
- Put room-temperature butter in a medium pot, preferably a pan with no coat inside.
- Melt butter uncovered until it foams and bubbles.
- Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes until it smells like popcorn. Bubbles will because very small. White curds may settle, and large soap-like bubbles may form (different than the initial foam). It may become very quiet.
- Immediately remove from heat when golden color forms to prevent burning.
- Set aside to cool.
- Strain through a cheesecloth into a storage jar. Be careful if using a glass jar. Wait until the melted ghee is not too hot. Discard crusts and curds.
- No need to refrigerate.
Serves: Makes one-half quart of ghee
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Recipe shared by Ann Wagoner, Ayurvedic Doctor.